Saturday, June 16, 2012

Obama Permitting Young Migrants to Remain in U.S.

Most liberal policies seem to be so compassionate. The premise being that the government needs to help certainly people or causes because it is the "right" thing to do. The latest from Obama calling for policy to allow young illegal immigrants to remain in the USA.

We have hundreds of thousands of people that came into the USA illegally with their parent or guardians. They have attended America schools, read and write English, and by all accounts are integrated into American society. In the mind of many, they are Americans and the federal government's policy should make it official.

The Obama administration picks and chooses which laws it chooses to enforce. The rule of law is selective to this branch of government that is elected to enforce the law, as created by Congress. There was no consultation with Congress. This was unilateral action with political intentions the primary motivator.

The DREAM Act (Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors), a legislative proposal introduced in the Senate in 2001 and reintroduced in 2009, 2010 and 2011, would provide conditional permanent residency to certain undocumented individuals of good moral character who graduate from US high schools, arrived in the US as minors, and lived in the country continuously for at least five years prior to the bill's enactment. It has not passed. Why? Because it is an amnesty program.

Where these people should be low on the list of immigration enforcement, they are here illegally.
My wife and I, born in the USA to parents (and grandparents) that were born in the USA. We adopted our youngest daughter over twelve years ago from outside the USA. She is turning 16. She would like to get her driving learner's permit. However, after a week of dealing with incompetent Utah DMV personnel, we came to the conclusion (along with some help from others who had a similar experience), that she cannot get a driver's license without a U.S. birth certificate, even though she had a U.S. passport when she came here. We had to spend $500 with an attorney and his paralegal to get this addressed. We needed this because our older children have had to show their birth certificates for various things in life.
How do illegals get driver's licenses? How do they get marriage licenses?

Whereas these young people should be a lower priority for Homeland Security, they will shortly become adults. They will be undocumented adults.

Just because many of these young people are victims of circumstances, the Presidency cannot take this action unless directed by Congress.

Like most liberal actions, it sure seems like a nice thing to do, however the Constitution and the current laws do not endorse this action by President Obama.

No comments: