Sunday, March 20, 2011

Scalped Tickets for Spring Training

Last week, I was working in Florida. I found myself in Ft. Myers on Saturday. I was hoping to take in a Twins Spring Training game.

I arrived at the ballpark about two hours before first pitch. I thought I was late and that the game was ready to start. There were thousands of people there already.

I got to the ticket window -- no line, a bad sign -- and the agent said it was sold out, no standing or outfield seats, no nothing.

Ticket scalpers were everywhere. They were selling tickets in the $60-100 range. For Spring Training? Half the players are minor leaguers. No way would I pay that kind of money for a ticket. I would not pay that kind of money for a regular season game between great teams with top pitchers matching-up.

I thought I liked baseball, a lot, like way more than 99.99% of the people in the country. But apparently not. These were not just blue-haired, snow-birds, but families getting out of the frozen tundra, taking a day off of Disney World.

Recession? What recession. I wonder how many of those present were paying for the trip and tickets on credit cards -- with money they do not have?

I will attend MLB games but will never pay $60 for a ticket. And I definitely will never go to MLB Spring Training games ever again -- in AZ or FL.

No comments: