Thursday, June 17, 2010

Iron Maiden - Final Frontier Tour - Phoenix

It has taken me years to finally see Iron Maiden. They are currently on their Final Frontier tour and they happened to stop in Phoenix, a 2 hour drive from Tucson. So I had to buy a couple of tickets. I also had to force my wife to go (she's not a fan).

I also went because Dream Theater, my favorite band, was opening. We were running a few minutes late as as luck would have it, they came on at 7:25 p.m., a few minutes before we could get through security and to our seats. DT only played for 50 minutes (that'd be 6 songs). That was the first time my wife had seen DT and she likes them, especially John Mgung, their awesome bassist. Their set list was:

-- As I Am
-- A Rite Of Passage
-- Home
-- Constant Motion
-- Panic Attack
-- Pull Me Under

Maiden, though getting up there in years, put on a good show. My only complaint is that they played too many songs from the past ten years. Now I appreciate their evolution as artists but most people like Maiden for their classics like Trooper, Number of the Beast, Two Minutes To Midnight, and Run to the Hills, not The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg, Wildest Dreams, or El Dorado (off their yet to be released new album).

Their set list at the Cricket Pavilion was:

-- The Wicker Man
-- Ghost Of The Navigator
-- Wrathchild
-- El Dorado
-- Dance Of Death
-- The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg
-- These Colours Don't Run
-- Blood Brothers
-- Wildest Dreams
-- No More Lies
-- Brave New World
-- Fear Of The Dark
-- Iron Maiden
-- The Number of the Beast
-- Hallowed Be Thy Name
-- Running Free

They are performers. Dickinson and Harris were all over the stage, acting like 25 year olds. McBrain was hidden behind his drum kit all night. Smith is trying to dress like he did in the 80s; that doesn't work for him any longer. Gers is not an original but did not detract. Murry looks to be the one suffering the greatest from the aging process.

I am glad I went. I am going to have to spend some time with their newer recordings in order to better appreciate what they were after.

No comments: