Saturday, March 27, 2010

Bear Canyon - Seven Falls - Coronado National Forest

In the Coronado National Forest in southeastern Arizona, Bear Canyon meanders up from the Sabino Canyon Visitors Center into the Pusch Wilderness Area. The main destination for 99% of all hikers is Seven Falls. It is a 8 mile hike round trip from the Visitors Center or 5 miles round trip if one elects to ride the $3 shuttle.

The hike is popular because it is easy, not too far, and the destination is worth it. I started hiking at around 9am. Made it there in about 1.75 hours and back in 1.25 hours. That's probably much faster than the average hiker.

On this occasion, because the Bear Canyon Creek was running, I had to cross the creek twelve times. Normally I would have spent the time trying to cross dry but as luck would have it, I slipped on the very first crossing, falling in up to my knees. It was a blessing in disguise, because I did not know how many crossing there were. With the water flowing like it was, finding rock-hopping areas would require searching and lots of extra time. I just blasted through the creek the next eleven times.

This hike is a date hike. I can't tell you how many couples I passed as I went up and came down. If solitude is your motive, this is not the place. But the Falls are wonderful, especially at this time of the year, give the snow we have had in Arizona.

No comments: