Wednesday, September 30, 2009

How To Tell Which Bands Suck

We all have our taste in music. Some like country while others like rock, rap, pop, jazz, classical. Always question anyone understanding or opinion if they say they "like all music except rap" or "everything except country."

There is good music in just about every category, though personally I have little insight into rap, lacking an appreciation for that genre.

There is a saying that my dad told me when I was you: "you are known by the company you keep." He was mainly talking about friends or the people I hung around. It was and is still very poignant. I say the same goes for music.

If your favorite artist has a Grammy, more than likely you have poor taste in music. If you like U2 (now, they use to be okay years ago), the Dave Matthews Band, or Aerosmith (now), you have poor taste in music. They have let fame cloud their craft.

If Nancy Pelosi joins you at a U2 concert, then I feel sorry for the company you keep.

Record companies make artists. Many artists start out focusing on their craft but money and fame changes them, in most cases, for the worst.

I chuckle at artist that start out working hard, playing small settings, year after year, get huge, and hit back at their critics for calling them sell-outs. They will say, "yea, we sell out...every night." A sold out venue is nice for business but has nothing to do with the quality of the product. It becomes a social event, not a quality musical event.

For the record, I have always been interested in four genres of music: hard rock, blues, classical and opera. I will be as likely to attend a Tool, Megadeth, Dream Theater, Chevelle, Sevendust, Kings of Leon, Black Keys as I would the Utah Symphony or the Utah Opera. You'll never seem me at a U2, Blink 182, Metallica, Dixie Chicks, Eminem, Brooks & Dunn or an event featuring any person that appeared on American Idol. If they are overly popular, my interest wanes.

No comments: