Sunday, February 01, 2009

30 Years of Islamic Reign in Iran

I was a freshman in college in southern California when the Mohammad Rezā Shāh Pahlavi -- the Shah of Iran -- was overthrown by Islamic revolutionaries.

For 2500 years Iran operated under a constitutional monarchy. In Feb 1979, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini and his fellow Islamic revolutionaries came to power. Iran is now "celebrating" 30 years of their middle-age form of government.

This period of time means a bit to me and my life. It is when I began to take an active interest in politics, especially international politics and foreign affairs. It was enhanced later in 1979 when 70 Americans were held captive in Iran for 444 days.

I attended school with Iranians. I ate with them. I saw them as any other people. But I did notice that opinions changed with respect to Iranians. They became shunned by many; opting to avoid unnecessary social interactions and certainly hiding their ethnicity.

Like most societies, most people are just like you and I. It is those in power that exercise power to their benefit and not to the benefit of the mass.
We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion.
Iran is lead today by Chief of State, Supreme Leader Ali Hoseini-Khamenei (since June 1989) and Head of Government, President Mahmud Ahmadinejad (since August 2005).

Time will only tell what Iran will do in the future with its nuclear aspiration and how America will respond. (War under a Democratic leadership is certainly a possibility as they will attempt to cover their current economic mistakes --spending, debts and taxes).

No comments: