Saturday, August 09, 2008

XXIX Summer Olympics


I am a fan of the Olympics. It give me a chance to see sports I rarely see. But the coverage of them by NBC is pathetic. I have to force myself to watch when I do.

The athletics will compete in 302 events (165 men’s events, 127 women’s events, and 10 mixed events). They include: diving, swimming, synchronized swimming, Water polo, archery, athletics, badminton, baseball, basketball, boxing, canoeing, cycling, equestrian, fencing, field hockey, football, gymnastics, handball, judo, modern pentathlon, rowing, sailing, shooting, softball, table tennis, taekwondo, tennis, triathlon, volleyball, weightlifting, wrestling.

I was reading the other day in Sports Illustrated. It predicted the U.S. to win more golds but the Chinese to win more overall medals. Most of the events America will win are in track and field and swimming. Less a few others, the bulk of the events are marginal sports within our society -- not to take away from any of the athletes that compete in them.

Nevertheless, it is those events and those athletes that we enjoy watching.

Today, some idiot from NBC actually said that the opening ceremony was perhaps the most important event in China's 5000 history.

Despite the tens of billions they will spend on the Olympics, China is an armpit. They have no respect for human rights. They could care less about pollution. They could care less if people lose their lives performing their jobs, or need to be relocated for the good of the nation, or have little personal freedom.

Any visiting athlete that says the polluted air will cause them health problems should be embarrassed. How'd you like to live in that crap every day like the Chinese people do?

As I watched that waste-of-money opening ceremony, I could only wonder about the short-term future of any of the 15,000 performers that mis-stepped or failed to do their job with 100 percent accuracy. It would not shock me to see them placed in some detention center for a number of years on the charge of national and party embarrassment.

I'll watch the events, but I'll complain about NBC the whole time. I will turn the channel or the volume down on any of their human-interests stories.

No comments: