Monday, August 14, 2006

Religious First, Citizen Second

Last week I heard a comment from some government or terrorist expert stating a concern over statements to the effect that most Muslims in Britain are Muslim first and British second. This was mixed into the discussion of the number of Muslims who sympathize with terrorist motives -- be it in Britain or in Lebanon. The two are mutually exclusive.

When I heard this, it struck me that non-religious people have a difficult time understanding religious people. There must be a belief, perhaps it is a British hold-over from Henry VIII's days, that country should trump all other loyalties.

I do not consider my American status more important than my religious and family roles. Does this make me an anarchy or civil disobedience sympathizer or anti-patriotic. I don't think so. (I heard Glenn Beck speak on this same topic this morning.)

The so-called separation of church and state has everything to do with our freedom to worship how, where and what we choose and that the government should not mandate a state religion. This was a major reason for the American Revolution and the breaking from our British ties.

It is not a red flag when one says their religion is a higher priority than their national loyalty. For many of us, our relationship with God, our salvation, our family's salvation, our relationship with our family members -- immediate and extended -- are more important than our national loyalty.

I love America more than another other nation. It is the greatest nation on the earth. I'd rather live hear than any other country. However, I love my God, my wife and children more.

(What doesn't make sense is for Muslims to cheer for terrorists just because the terrorists are Muslim. People who take this position are more terrorists than religious. No serious religious person would approve of wanton death and destruction demonstrated by militant Islam.)

1 comment:

Reach Upward said...

I felt exactly the same when I heard conservatives bashing Muslims for considering themselves Muslim first and citizens of their country second. Of course, there is a problem if people would commit or sanction violence or sedition against the state or its citizens in order to make a political statement, regardless of whether that political statement is religiously based or not.