Saturday, August 05, 2006

Landis Caught


Floyd Landis was fired by his team and the Tour de France no longer considered him its champion Saturday after his second doping sample tested positive for higher-than-allowable levels of testosterone.

The samples contained synthetic testosterone, indicating that it came from an outside source.

Shadows of Rafael Palmeiro:
On March 17, 2005, Palmeiro appeared at a Congressional hearing on the subject of steroids in baseball and vehemently denied ever using steroids under oath, wagging his finger and stating:

"Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids, period."
On August 1, 2005, Palmeiro was suspended for ten days after testing positive for steroids. In a public statement, Palmeiro disclosed that an appeal of the suspension has already been denied. At the same time, he stated:

"I have never intentionally used steroids. Never. Ever. Period. Ultimately, although I never intentionally put a banned substance into my body, the independent arbitrator ruled that I had to be suspended under the terms of the program."
and Bill Clinton:
On January 26, a visibly flustered President Clinton addressed the public in a White House press conference and issued a forceful denial:

"Now, I have to go back to work on my State of the Union speech. And I worked on it until pretty late last night. But I want to say one thing to the American people. I want you to listen to me. I'm going to say this again. I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky. I never told anybody to lie, not a single time; never. These allegations are false. And I need to go back to work for the American people."
Landis, who's Tour de France performance in Stage 17 was one of the greatest in history, will go to the dustbins of history.

No comments: